So last night, on Valentines Day, I saw Fifty Shades of Grey. However, it was in the least cliché way possible with my sister, in sweatpants, sneaking in kettle corn from Trader Joes. Anyway, here are my thoughts…
- Do not see this movie at 9 pm with a horde of immature high school students. Actually, maybe do. The commentary was hilarious and kind of mirrored what was going on in my head anyway.
- Elaborating on my last point, if seen in a crowded movie theater, be prepared to listen to bellowing and laughing throughout the entire film. Partially because the movie is SO cheesy, and partially because seeing erotic porn with a group of strangers is awkward and uncomfortable.
- I read all three books back in high school and forgot how ridiculous the plotline and one-liners really are. Many of the lines my sister and I made faces at were actually verbatim from the novel. For example, “Anastasia, you are biting your lip. You know what that does to me” is way less hot in film than it is in print.
- I originally didn’t find Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey) sexy at all, but after seeing the movie I do. You’ll see why. My sister would like to add that she still thinks he’s ugly.
- The books are kinky and erotic, but there is a level of underlying romance that clearly made the series a remarkable success. However, the S&M in the movie is lacking the concealed passion behind the violence and seemed unreasonably abusive on Christian’s part.
- They showed a preview for the documentary on the history of the woman’s rights’ movement, “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry” coming out December 5th (which looks brilliant by the way) before the film. It skewed the way I watched a movie about a woman allowing a man to beat her with a belt because “it’s just who he is”.
- Do not see this movie with your parents.
All of that being said, I laughed, squirmed, and had a lot of fun. It’s worth seeing, especially if you read the books and are dying to see what “the red room of pain” looks like on the big screen.